Lutherans in the Carroll area began meeting as early as the 1870's with Lutheran missionaries looking after the spiritual needs of our people. In the early 1880's the Rev. C.F. Hermann of Arcadia and the Rev. John Sessler of Lidderdale held services in Carroll. Services were held in members homes, the public school and the county courthouse.
St. Paul congregation was officially organized in 1886, with a charter membership of 15 families. The congregation built it's first house of worship in 1889 at West and Third streets. The Rev. F. Lothringer of Denison conducted services after Pastor Hermann's advanced years prevented him from continuing to serve the Carroll congregation. During one year a seminary student W. Schweppe, conducted services and prepared a class of adults for confirmation. The Rev. Andrew Mueller of Lidderdale also served the Carroll Congregation.
The first resident pastor in Carroll was the Rev. August Discher. He began in the summer of 1892. In 1897 a mission was opened at Glidden and Pastor Discher served both towns until 1903 when he accepted a call to Boyer. A parsonage had been erected in Carroll in the early 1890's.
The Rev. G.F. Luebker was the next pastor, serving the Carroll-Glidden parish. He resided in Glidden from 1908 until he moved to Hammond, Indiana in 1909. The Rev. Louis Eschbach became the next pastor serving from the summer of 1909 until May 1915, when he went to Grand Mound, Iowa. He was the last pastor to serve the combined Carroll-Glidden congregation.
The Rev. A.J. Mueller became the first resident pastor in 1915 when the St. Paul congregation became an independent parish. He came from Winona, Minnesota. Under his leadership the congregation outgrew its building and worshipped in the Episcopal Church at Ninth and Adams streets from April 1924 through November 1925, which it rented for $12 per month.
In 1925 the Baptist Church at Seventh and Adams was purchased, with the dedication services held on March 14, 1926. A parsonage was also purchased at that location.
On Thanksgiving Day, 1936, Pastor Mueller was called to his eternal home. The Rev. A.O. Bleeke of Lake City was installed on February 21, 1937, serving the Carroll congregation until 1945 when he accepted a call to Storm Lake.
The Rev. Waldemar Hinck, a former Army chaplain was the next pastor. A new Wicks pipe organ was dedicated on Palm Sunday 1949, as a memorial to Lt. Victor A. Mueller. Son of the former pastor, he was the only young man of the congregation to give his life in WWII.
Pastor Hinck accepted a call to Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in July 1950. The Rev. E.W.M. Brewer of Glidden served as the pastor during the vacancy and the observance of the 25th anniversary of the church. The church building was completely redecorated for the occasion.
The Rev. Paul Bergmann of Wisconsin became the next pastor for St. Paul congregation in 1951. During this time 11 lots in northwest Carroll were purchased for expansion and relocation.
Pastor Bergmann accepted a call to Luxemborg, Wisconsin, in 1956, and was succeeded by the Rev. Harold Kieck of Wakefield, Nebraska. Construction began on a new church and parsonage in
September 1959. The new church at 1844 Highland Ave. was dedicated to the glory of God on June 19, 1960. An overflow crowd of 1,500 attended the two special services.
Pastor Kieck accepted a call to Glenwood Springs, Colorado, in January 1970. The Rev. Timothy Koenig was installed in July 1970, serving until October 1974, when he accepted a call to Pampa, Texas. The Rev. Donald Wuertz was installed as the next pastor in March 1975.
Pastor Wuertz accepted a call to Rochester, Minnesota, in March 1985. Pastor, Rev Charles Haake, was installed in September 1985, coming to Carroll from Owatonna, Minnesota he retired in August 2003.
Pastor David Anthony was installed in January 2004. Pastor Brian Licht was installed in July of 2006 and served together with Pastor Anthony until Pastor Anthony resigned his call in February 2011. We currently continue to be served by Pastor Licht.
Copyright© 2012 St Paul Lutheran Church ~ Carroll, IA | All rights reserved.